Graduate School of International Management*
Aoyama Gakuin University
* Also known as Aoyama Business School
Official ABS profile page (in Japanese)
Shibuya 4-4-25, Shibuya-ku
Map to Aoyama Gakuin University
E-mail: ushijima at gsim dot aoyama dot ac dot jp
- 2003 University of California, Los Angeles (Ph.D.)
- 1991 Keio University (M.A.)
- 1989 Keio University (B.A.)
Economic analysis of corporate strategy (diversification), structure, and performance; Corporate restructuring
Book (in Japanese):
『経営戦略をつかむ (Understanding Management Strategy)』(joint with Shigeru Asaba). 2010. Yuhikaku:Tokyo
- Patent rights protection and Japanese foreign direct investment, Research Policy 42, 738-748, 2013.
- What drives the profitability of Japanese multi-business corporations? A variance components analysis, Journal of The Japanese and International Economies 25, 1-11, 2011 (joint with Yoshitaka Fukui).
- Understanding partial mergers in Japan, Journal of Banking and Finance 34, 2941-2953, 2010.
- R&D intensity and acquisition and divestiture of corporate assets: Evidence from Japan, Journal of Economics and Business 61, 415-433, 2009.
- Domestic bank health and foreign direct investment, Journal of The Japanese and International Economies 22, 291-309, 2008.
- Corporate diversification, performance, and restructuring in the largest Japanese manufacturers, Journal of The Japanese and International Economies 21, 303-323, 2007
(joint with Yoshitaka Fukui).
- Internal capital market and the growth and survival of Japanese plants in the United States,
Journal of The Japanese and International Economies 19, 366-385, 2005.
Works in Progress:
- The roles of closure and selloff in corporate restructuring (joint with Akie Iriyama)
- The market for corporate subsidiaries in Japan (joint with Ulrike Schaede)
- Does organizational form matter? The case of internal division vs. subsidiary
- Japan's holding company puzzle
Managerial Economics (MBA core); Competitive Strategy (MBA elective); Corporate Strategy (MBA elective)